Europa-List: Re: Pitot Static

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Pitot Static
From: EMAproducts@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:13:04
I am just a lurker on this site, but have considerable experience on
location of pitot/ vanes etc below the wing .
I manufacturer the RiteAngle series of AOA's, and vane location is
extremely important to get a good clean airflow, which also would indicate good

clean stable air into the pitot tube. My aerodynamic engineer with many years
of  experience told me to never locate a vane less than 4 inches from an
airfoil.  Where we are using a vane we strive to be 13% of the chord below
the wing, which has worked on well over 100 different makes and models of
aircraft with no problem.  The only problems were with those who placed the
vane to close to the airflow where the airflow was still "following the curve"

 of the airfoil~~I can think of two people who tried to out guess years of
experimenting and experience.  I agree 100% that 4" is marginal, especially
 where the vane is located on the Europa ( on those I've flown anyway.)
Another factor is the actual airfoil being used and the size of the pitot
tube.  During tests for certification of one LSA our system was within 1  mph
---From stall to Vne of the aircraft,  I feel primairly due to using a  larger
diameter pitot tube as the AOA didn't restrict the airflow into the tube,
also the shape of the end of the pitot makes a difference.  Put it far  enoug
h below the wing & use a proven pitot tube.
A different subject the Static source is as important as the  Pitot.
Follow Europa's instructions.
Elbie Mendenhall

In a message dated 9/20/2011 12:07:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,