RE: Europa-List: Tailwheel angle stop & weighing

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailwheel angle stop & weighing
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:56:38

Hello Graeme,

You probably noticed that I have the same tail wheel installation as yours.

Knowing that the roll pin had a reputation for snapping I never installed it
and as far as I can see it doesn't affect the handling at all. When the
aircraft is going forward the movement is curtailed by the rudder cables. I
guess it depends on whether your inspector is happy with this (ie: the pin
being removed). As you will have discovered when it snapped it serves no
useful purpose.

You just have to be a bit careful when pushing the aircraft backwards but as
you may have noticed I have a trolley which the tail wheel drops into when
I'm moving the aircraft in the hangar.

Your aircraft weighs the same as ours - 815 lbs and the c of g at 60.2 is
about as good as it gets. The limits are 58 - 62.5 with 60 being the ideal.
I have the pilots handbook with the weighing and c of g notes if you would
like to see these. I could scan and email the relavent pages.

Regards,

Carl
G-LABS