Re: Europa-List: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 09:53:51
Hi All,

I have found that the inner tubes on my mono to be an ongoing problem and I
now routinely change my inner tube every 150 hours as preventative
maintenance.  The tubes I have been using are not very expensive and I think
that they are from China. Recently Bud made me aware that there is a
certified inner tube available at about 3 times the cost and if they last
longer then they would be so worth it!

I do recall when I mentioned on the forum that I was losing inner tubes
regularly that some people were surprised and that they had not had a
problem so perhaps this can be accounted for by different inner tubes being
available. The failure I get is that the side wall of the inner tube get
small splits in it due to chafing.  I typically run my tire at about 24 psi,
which is higher than the recommended by Europa.  BTW I do use talcum powder
when I install the inner tube.

I have had 3 blow outs on a hard surface and fortunately I was able to keep
directional control.  The challenge I found is that with a flat tire the
mono is nearly impossible to move.  It happen to me at a large airport once
which got the airport authority excited because they had to shut the runway
down and divert all of the 737's to a shorter runway.  I now carry a jacking
block, tools and a spare inner tube with me and I can now do the change out
in less than 30 minutes.

Next time around I am going to try a certified inner tube in the hope that
it will last longer.

Paul