Re: Europa-List: 914 turbo

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 turbo
From: Jim Brown <acrojim7534@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:00:18
In my previous post about the turbo wastgate... The wastgate was NOT stuck.
..The problem was the controll cable had worn thru several strands of the c
able. The cable was bending part of the time,when the throttle was moved,wh
ich made the MP change. This is why I posted the pictures.....=0A-=0AIt w
ould seem that my problem with the cable, brough forth a problem that has b
een ocurring, with the stuck wastgate on the 914's.=0A-=0AJim Brown=0A=0A
From: Jim Brown <acrojim7534@yahoo.com>=0ATo: Europa list <europa-list@matr
onics.com>=0ASent: Friday, June 24, 2011 2:59 PM=0ASubject: Europa-List: 91
4 turbo=0A=0A=0AFor you 914 drivers;=0A=0AMy 914 started showing surges in
the manifold pressure recently.-On takeoff's, the MP would vary from 33"
MP to 39"MP. In cruse mode where I normall cruise at 33" MP and 5300 RPM-
I was having to advance the throttle, or retard, in order to keep the MP st
able.=0A=0AThe engine has 860 hours, TT since new...to make a long story sh
ort, I have added 3 pictures of the servo cable..Over a period of time, som
e of the wires in the cable, were broken, or just worn out.-The -clevis
 on the end of the cable connects directly to the turbo wastgate, and the w
orn out cable was just bending, instead of moving the wastegate...=0A-=0A
I ordered new cable from Rotax, and installed...Make sure when installing n
ew cable, that the wastgate is completely closed..If its not completely clo
sed, you will not get full bost on takeoff.=0A=0AJim Brown