RE: Europa-List: 914 turbo

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 914 turbo
From: Matthew Carpenter <europaxs@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 08:39:35
Hi, we also had the same problem with a stuck waste gate.  We tried Mouse
Milk but would have the same problem after only a few flights.

Out solution was to remove the turbo and clean the shaft dry. I think that
was Lockwood Aviation's suggestion.

Keep the shaft dry and run motor gas.  Any AVGAS will cause it to stick at
random times as the lead builds up.  We run motor gas as often as we can,
but use TCP (I think that's what it's called) when we run AVGAS.

Before each flight I turn the master on and let the servo move the waste
gate.  Problem is I cannot see the servo or waste gate.  What we figured out
is that we can pull the engine computer breaker and push it back in and at
the same time we quickly move in front of the place and look at the waste
gate.  You can see the arm move for just a brief second.  This method works
great and we have not had a stuck waste gate since.

Matt Carpenter

N138WJ