Europa-List: Re: N127ZP Landing gear failure.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: N127ZP Landing gear failure.
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 08:26:34

Hi Jeff

When working on my XS gear of A265, I made a jig and fixture to
observe and allow myself to fully understand how the gear worked.
I was able to make a measuring jig and to my horror my undercarriage
mounting frame was allowing one side to be on center, and the other under
center.

I believe there is a good chance this is a recipe for the disaster you and Ken
experienced.
You want both sides over center by at least 1/16".
There is no mention in the manual of checking this or just how important it is
to be over center, but keep in mind not too much over center or you can bend
components
on the under carriage mounting frame.
BTW on early Classic undercarriage mounting frames there was a mod to add more
steel and melt it in place. I forget the number of the mod or bulletin.
I urged Steve D. to check his, and his needed attention as well.
I ended up lopped off the stops to allow about 1/8" overcenter, then Reduxed in
place a nice piece of hard durometer polyurethane obtained from McMaster in
addition
to using a #3 bolt to hold the slug of Polyurethane in place. The Polyurethane
allows for a small amount of shock absorption, but even if it were to
fail, only 1/8" overcenter could be achieved.
it's been a while and I forget exactly how i made my measuring tool, but going
---From memory now, I made something that went inside the LG08 large diameter
pivot
that had a pin central located the same diameter as the pin at the base of
LG08, which is also the same diameter as the pin (LG04) that the bottom shock
absorber plate pivots on.
Anyway you have now 3 pins the same diameter. using a thin steel rule you can
measure
to see if they are absolute in alignment (which would mean they are on
center) or if the bottom LG08 pin is a bit forward (over center) like you want.
Here arew some drawings:
http://www.europa-aircraft.biz/upload/cmb_29m_landinggear_mono.pdf

BTW to save yourself at a remote airport or if you need to get off
runway quick, John Hurst mentioned you could remove right stabilator, remove
right
wing, take seat cushions on put under fuse, and roll plane on right side,
pull gear down, get stuck and then roll your bird off the runway.

Good luck.

Ron P.

BTW looks like Jab, not Rotax, not sure procedure on Jab for prop strike.

Read this topic online here: