Re: Europa-List: N127ZP Landing gear failure.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: N127ZP Landing gear failure.
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 07:42:41
Jeff,

Agreed, failure of the over center lock allowed the gear to retract.

Rotax has a set procedure for checking the engine after a prop strike.
http://www.rotax-owner.com/all-videos has a general prop strike inspection
video and two videos showing the procedure to check the crankshaft runout and
to check for crankshaft distortion.  These checks should best be made by an
experienced Rotax repair shop.

Looks like you are just east of Rochester.  One of the frequent contributors to
the Rotax Engines List is a fellow who operates a Rotax Shop in the Buffalo
area.
If I remember correctly, his name is Thom Riddle.  I'll see if I can find
one of his postings with contact information.  Here is what information is
available:
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)
Kolb Slingshot SS-021
Jabiru 2200A #1574
Tennessee Prop 64x32
You can probably find him through a White Pages search or contact him through
the
list.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Tri-Gear, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S Prop
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Jun 4, 2011, at 2:41, David Joyce wrote:

> Jeff, Bad luck. Very strange that an over centre locked system can collapse.
My understanding of the Rotax routine for prop strikes is that the gear box is
taken off & professionally examined & if that is OK then you need go no further.