Europa-List: N127ZP Landing gear failure.

Subject: Europa-List: N127ZP Landing gear failure.
From: Jeffrey J Paris <jeffreyjparis@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:15:02
Hi Bud,
=C2-
We had a major problem today, during a taxi and a stationary run-up our land
ing gear collapsed and nuked our prop and pancaked our airplane onto the tar
mac at my local airport. =C2-Needless to say I'm feeling a bit devastated,
 but I'm very grateful as my Father pointed out ,"that thank god I wasn't ta
king off or landing when the gear failed." =C2-I had to agree wholehearted
ly! =C2-Anyways, any ideas or has anyone else out there suffered the same
problem? =C2-During my build I definitely was concerned that the "Gear" ha
ndle was doing 3 jobs, deploying/retracting the main gear, flaps and outrigg
ers. =C2-My aircraft has been on the mains since last September and has be
en moved in and out of the hanger many times, what gives besides the gear?
=C2-I have attached some pictures that may shed some light to your experie
nced eye. =C2-
=C2-
Looks like a total tear down for the engine? =C2-Mod 51 incorporated.=C2
-The aircraft is insured, my Father was a successful Insurance Agent and w
e are covered pending an inspection from claims.
=C2-

Accident Information regarding N127ZP =C2-Europa Monowheel Classic.
=C2-
Pilot/Owner: Jeff Paris at controls at time of accident,=C2-Phase I of gro
und testing.
=C2-
When: =C2-June 3, 2011 approximately 12:30 PM at hanger located SDC =C2
-perfect VFR conditions.
=C2-
Where: =C2-Parked on Taxiway on south side of field=C2-
=C2-
How and What: =C2-Was test running engine up on taxiway near hanger. =C2
-Aircraft was stationary with parking brake engaged. =C2-During engine r
un-up pilot looked down to close throttle after successful run-up and notice
d that the landing gear handle was bent/bending to the left. =C2-Pilot imm
ediately attempted to shut down engine when the gear collapsed and propeller
 struck the ground and stopped engine. =C2-At time of preflight inspection
 =C2-and up to accident all safety latches for the landing gear on the air
craft appeared to be functioning and engaged as designed.=C2-Aircraft dism
antled and stored in owners hanger, pending review of damage.
=C2-
I guess we all heard the saying there are two types of retractable pilots on
e that has had a gear up landing and those that will, I didn't expect to hav
e a collapse just sitt ing there monitoring the gauges. . . WTF!=C2-
=C2-
Thanks for your time and consideration.
=C2-
Jeff Paris