RE: Europa-List: Flap cross tube problem

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Flap cross tube problem
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:17:22

The SB pertaining to the flap drive tube does not discuss the length of the
tube, only the clearance between it and the root of the flap.
I still would like to know a few examples of others drive tube lengths for
the flap cross tube. That way, I could rule out wing pin location, flap
length, etc. before contacting the company. Just a few will do, and it
doesn't need to be real precise. Down to  (+/-) 1/4" or so will be fine.
Reporting in mm or cm (or whatever) is very welcome as well, I just need a
small representative sampling. Next time you are in the garage or hangar
with nothing much to do?

Thanks for all help,
Greg

_______________

Frans,

Good point, I could probably find the length info there.
I think my cross tube would just barely hang on, even on the ground.
Something will have to change for sure. I don't believe my flap is short,
either. It appears longer than at least one that I have seen on the Europa
owners website. Only about a quarter inch was shaved off the outboard side
flange, to allow the hinge arm to center between the dual hinge on the wing.

I will start looking through the SB's and AD's.

Thanks,

Greg

>Please read the appropriate SB's and AD's on the Europa website. There
>has
been a batch with too short flap cross tubes
>(with almost a fatal crash as a result) so it might well be that it
>applies
to your situation as well.