Re: Europa-List: Can the Monowheel be suitable for the tarmac

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Can the Monowheel be suitable for the tarmac
From: stephan@scassel.se
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 14:08:43

Hi Ted,

Yes you can !

With right training and approach there is no problem.

Before I took my first flight in my Europa Mono I had at least 150
takeoff/landings with Cub. Numbers of hours on a trail dragger are not
important. Number of landings are.

Pete Jeffers came over from England and checked me out and that was very
valuable. Without a proper training course I have probably ground looped
at  the very first flight.

The best advices, I can think of, are:

1. Have many landing on a conventional trail dragger first (you already have)

2. An experience mono pilot as instructor

3. Always land the mono with both wheel touching the ground at the same
time.  Tail wheel slightly  first will work if the airspeed is not too
high .

4. Aim for 55 knots on threshold. If you find your speed too high: Go around

5. Pitch attitude is important. Do not pull the stick fully back prior to
landing (as you do with Cub)
Memorize the pitch attitude. Make a reference between cowling and runway
when you are  lining up for takeoff.

6. Takeoff: Always keep the tail wheel on ground. 30-35 knots release the
stick pressure slightly but keep tail wheel on ground until airborne

7. #6 is important when taking off in crosswind. Andy Draper told me
this technique and it works great.

8. First 100 landings: max 6-7 knots cross wind

When I approach an airfield that offers both grass and tarmac I always
land on tarmac: tail wheel has much better grip on tarmac then on grass.
Grass fields are often more bumpy then tarmac. But for the very first
flight grass is probably best.

Check that the control cables is tight connected to the rudder horn. Both
springs should be compressed about 8-11 mm.
REMBER: The tail wheel/rudder is the key control.

During my first four years with my mono I have conducted about 400
landings. Many landings that I am trying to forget but also many that I am
happy with. Europa Mono is not the beast many tri gear pilots talks about.
Mono is different and needs training. Just like your first bicycle ride.

Best of luck!

Stephan Cassel
LN-STE
Flying a mono is living. Everything else is waiting