Re: Europa-List: CS Prop Controller - manifold pressure.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: CS Prop Controller - manifold pressure.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:57:39

On 05/29/2011 02:23 PM, Carl Pattinson wrote:
> The display on the Smart controller can be set for either air pressure (in
> of Hg) or power setting as a % so I am wondering which would be best.

It can be configured as alternating, and that is what I did in the
beginning. However, I found out that the power % setting was meaningless
for me, and I was always waiting for the alternate MAP. So after a while
I configured it to display solely the MAP.
MAP is the real thing, the % power is derived from it but is inaccurate
and well, it is just a number which is pretty meaningless. MAP however
tells you, regardless of RPM, what is going on with your engine. Ok, I
have a 914, so I have additional reasons to observe MAP (it is also
showing the boost pressure). And if I want to compare performance
figures with other Europa flyers, I (and they) prefer to exchange RPM
and MAP to get comparable figures.

Just like Bob told, I too found out that 27 inch is about the sweet
point of my 914. The optimum in speed versus fuel consumption. Above
this, the fuel consumption climbs faster than the speed.

Frans