Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Tank Capacity

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Tank Capacity
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:40:46
       Photo E-mail   Play
slideshow<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSd
ooxx9v4CFFiF2tnPzfqiCRx5lZJb1PK8cJ43U178Cj9K5v0dBOyRUP8ehqN5EQNFDiaRvA%24
%24> | Download images
<http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.aspx?pi_Type=SlideshowTask&Task=
Download&stppData=&pi_ImagesOnly=1&Folder=nBuRgwTGIGjZPMtNhxCyPhYLU
BR*bYP2uzFIOVTpF0g%24&User=23IQaj7Z2BRqNO1wUECSpX*P0Ju9hSGI&pi_NoLogin=
1>
Ivor and all,

The original Classic tank in N139AB held 2.5 gallons in each saddle.
The tank itself when filled up to the upper level of the boss (fuel
inlet with that horrible old hose) which means a slight amount of fuel
in the filler tube, held 18 gallons.

The XS 2000-2004 with the horrible depression in the top of the tank
also held 18 gallons.

Keep in mind, the tail dragger will hold less because of the trapped air
in the front of the tank, unless there is some shacking and tail lifting
involved.

The last set of tanks made with the diagonal reinforcement molded in the
back (thanks to Roger and John), have a very flat top and is wider by
some 1/2 inch or so.  On replacing the original tank in N12AY (which
cracked) with this new tank, my capacities are the same on the reserve
side and main at 2.5 gallons each.  The total capacity of the tank in
the tri gear N12AY is 20 US gallons.  This has been checked and verified
three times and frankly welcomed on cross country.  The fuel level at 20
gallons in the filler neck is 1/2 way up the tube.  Gary Leinberger's is
the same way after his tank swap.

The CFC modified fuel sight gauge (see " A sight gauge that really
works" at
www.customflightcreations.com<http://www.customflightcreations.com/>)
works both in flight or on the ground.  Keep in mind, in the standard
fuel system, the vents on the top of the aircraft cause some low
pressure problems pulling the fuel in the sight gauge off a bit in
flight, as does acceleration, deck angle etc. making it less than
repeatable and accurate.  Also, most inaccuracies in any sight gauge
come from fuel trapped in the vent side of the site gauge (see crude
drawing below).  The indicated reading on the site gauge is greatly
affected by this trapped fuel either with the CFC modified sight gauge
or the standard.  Being human, we run the sight gauge line with some
areas that run down hill a bit and cause fuel to be trapped as it is
tough to get fuel across the panel bottom, down the side, then up the
windscreen and down the top to the vent.  If this installation is done
perfectly so it traps no fuel, the standard sight gauge is reasonably
accurate.  Retrofitting the CFC line is no picnic either if the tank
buts up against the top of the tank compartment or a lot of foam is used
on the top of the tank...

N12AY is equipped with  JPI fuel totalizer, a sight gauge and a
capacitance fuel probe.  Only the capacitance fuel probe has been a
problem when changing from ethanol enhanced fuel, to and from AV gas.
Ah to have the float gauge.  One piece of equipment I carry in my
aircraft is a short piece of 1/4 inch hose to blow air down into the
sight gauge vent in the filler neck to remove any trapped fuel if I find
it inaccurate after spirited flying, turbulence or overfilling.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Tech Support, Europa
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.