RE: Europa-List: Spraying questions

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Spraying questions
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:37:12

Hello,

Having just completed the arduous procedure of a CLASSIC I concur with David:

Save yourself a whack of money by doing the filling and contouring at your own
shop. But then, leave the final priming/painting to the professionals. It does
take many years to get really good at it. A painter intimately knows the paint,
primers and fillers while spraying them on, while adjusting immediately for
the daily changes of flow caused by changing humidity, temperature, etc.
Having spent several weeks in a professional paint shop, finalizing filling and
sanding I can attest that without precautions taken, spray painting/priming is
a risky business for health, no matter what the labels say.
It took me many hours to fill and sand to ready-paint state, which included
sanding
stages after filling, Smooth Priming, Epoxy Priming. Lots of work but look
at the money you save: at $50 shop hours I was quoted close to $10,000 to have
this done.
Doing all the preparations myself, and sanding in between to paint ready state,
the paining process took them only 10 hours to complete which I very happily
paid the shop their professional rate for, plus the material. YES, I was wearing
a mask during the entire process.

What worked for me was to do all the required work at home/shop myself: filling
(Aeropoxy Light filler), followed by filling larger pinholes with quick setting
putty (takes only one hour per side). Then Smooth Prime to fill all the small
pin holes (rolling on is MUCH more economical than spraying as it "massages"
the stuff in, effectively filling almost all pin holes - that stuff is amazing).
I needed only 3 rolled on coats to fill the pinholes (not 6 as prescribed)
and then sanded back. Everything cleans up with water, but wear a mask. I found
including the cross-linker makes for better adhesion, no matter what they
tell you now.
Make sure you wait a week until that stuff completely dries - it sands easily.
The BEST sanding tools I found were the DURA BLOCKS marketed in the US - I
wasted
much valuable time initially messing around with the EUROPA prescribed sanding
blocks. DURA BLOCKS work amazingly and produce much more precise results
with much less scratching the surface. I used an 12, 18 and 24 inch size polus
a small soft block for the fine sanding and contours (yes, I built the wing
fairings
myself).The painter then applied an epoxy primer followed by a surface
filler which I sanded back to 320 and then to 500grit in preparation for
painting
which took only a few hours.

Christoph Both
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada