Re: Europa-List: Safety and helmets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Safety and helmets
From: Kenneth Fraser <fraser@dalgowan.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:32:17

I routinely wear a Mk10 " bone dome" as issued by the RAF, etc.  It is quite
wide so I had the bulged canopies fitted to allow for this.  I tried a
Europa cockpit that had the standard canopy for size some years ago and it
was too tight a fit. (That was an Alpha helmet which is slightly smaller
than a Mk10.)  I am 5 feet 10inches tall, not sure of sitting height.
I have no problem wearing it but greater reassurance re safety.  A "high
top" version would probably not have a problem either.
I hope this opinion might help.
On a slight variation to this theme, I always wear a seat type parachute
(and bone dome) in the Chipmunk and Fox Moth but have not yet tried slim
back packs in the Europa (after removing the seat cushions).  I wonder if
anyone wears a parachute in a Europa?  Possibly for test flying.

Ken Fraser (G-IVET)