Re: Europa-List: Safety and helmets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Safety and helmets
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:50:09

Will, Probably 70 of them could have been prevented by eliminating pilot
error! The military wear helmets and at least historically their accident
rates I believe have been higher than civil ones. I wouldn't want to make a
thesis of that, but I do believe there have been serious research findings
that show that in recreational pursuits, risk taking by the people involved
tends to increase until the perceived level of risk reaches the level the
individual enjoys - which suggests that if helmets are worn and the
individual feels protected his level of risk taking might increase too, and
the number of pilot error crashes will increase!
           Quite apart from that I don't fancy one, nor yet a parachute!
Happy landings, David Joyce, G-XSDJ