Re: Europa-List: Airmaster failure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airmaster failure
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:45:56
Airmaster failureFerg, Justin and Paul.
Should the nut come loose on that or any stud, the nut becomes the
foreign object and can be responsible, but more than likely not, as the
spinner  hole is large enough that a foreign object can easily enter the
hub.  That said, the forward side of the back plate spins with the prop
so in my opinion it can't generate enough torque to impact that stud
hard enough.  The next likely is fatigue failure do to some looseness in
the bolt, over torque or the wrong material, and that is why I am so
interested.  Nylon lock nuts are great in that they don't need much
torque and hold up well, but forward of the firewall heat it will
sometimes rob them of there "stickiness" and age takes a bit of a toll.
The prop does not get that warm to compromise a nyloc so it is an
interesting failure.  A good investigation and proper scratch analysis
will Anyway
Anway
, I'll inform Martin at Airmaster.

Regards,