Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel disk brake

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel disk brake
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:50:55
Brian,
Thanks for your insight.  I have found out, the hard way, on a wheel
replacement, when I thought I was sure that the anodizing of the new
disk galled up the pad on the replacement wheel.  I removed the wheel,
sanded the disk with 80 grit and 220 grit using a DA sander, cleaned
(sanded) the pads and used brake cleaner to clean both disk and pads.  I
retried a hard brake burn in with no more directional problems.  Result
of the cleanups autopsy showed my own failure to burn in the new brake,
I only did light braking, and the anodizing and residue compromised the
pad surface... It's all about the prep, or in my case lack of it.

I reviewed my errors and printed off the Matco tech advice in their
technical support section on brake care and techniques and now review it
religiously.

Best regards,
Bud Yerly