Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel disk brake

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel disk brake
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:25:40
Remi,

I have been watching this thread with interest.
To answer some of your questions, automotive discs tend to be made out
of cast iron, these have significantly different wear (and friction)
characteristics to steel. Steel tends to "gall" on contact, whereas cast
iron forms a powder. Cast iron is a far better brake material, but for
weight and production cost reasons, Europa couldn't (chose not to) use it.

I chose to modify my standard disc to lighten it, provide better water
drainage and to improve the wear characteristics by having it hard
chromed (as Graham suggested in his response). I have attached a photo FYI.

With kind regards

Nigel

On 09/02/2011 17:30, Remi Guerner wrote:
> -->  Europa-List message posted by: "Remi Guerner"<air.guerner@orange.fr>
>
> Thank you Brian, this is good advice. I will try it. However I am wondering
> why
on my car the pads and the disks last thousands times more without having to
bother with conditioning! I really think there is compatibility problem between
the Europa disk material and the (non asbestos) metallic lining.