Re: Europa-List: Re: windscreen air

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: windscreen air
From: Gerry Holland <gholland@contentstream.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:24:10

Fred
Here in UK I have experienced windscreen misting in two different Europa's.
When I built mine I was conscious that air needed extracting through the
rear on panel area to reduce by removing some warmer air created by the
various panel systems. At the same time it occurred to me and at least one
significant other (Paddy!) that it could prove useful if the extraction fans
blew across face of front screen. It did prove to be the case and to work,
certainly within a 5-10 minute start up and taxi cycle.
The side windows are not reached by the fans airflow and they still remain
misted and have to be wiped with absorbent cloth to remove that moisture.
Both Aircraft had overhead Air Vents using flip up air dam in cabin roof.
That proves useful but mainly to reduce inside temperature in summer. It
works very well once underway. I also added warm air system and that too
added to cabin comfort in winter and reduce internal misting.
In climates such as UK in winter with a range between -5C and 15C and a
range of humidity on any day from September to April, misting is a feature
of the Europa cabin and certainly needs addressing. Take off in IMC just due
to condensation is not an experience I personally need! The Cabin clears
after a few minutes if any residual misting left in corner areas due to
natural leaked airflow in fuselage. Sorry to ramble but in short. Fit Fans
if you can with a switched supply and those using EXPBus can also easily
control speed of Fans. These Computer Fans are quiet and certainly produce
some good airflow.
Regardless of theories it worked for me!
I now fly an open cockpit aircraft and even here my bloody goggles sometimes
mist up. Local comment is that my flying improves significantly during these
periods!
In the words of Oscar Wilde....Demist or be damned!
Yes I have just taken my pills!
Regards
Gerry

Gerry Holland