Europa-List: Fuel Pressure Indication

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel Pressure Indication
From: Hans J. Danielsen <hansjd@online.no>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:10:41
During my studying in order to rectify my too high fuel pressure
indication (which for my 914 installation most probably is caused by a
restriction - one way or another - in the fuel return line), I'm
astonished to (re)learn that there is no requirement from Rotax to
install a fuel pressure instrument.

The Installations Manual states: "There is no standard connection
provided to measure the fuel pressure. For general observation and at
engine troubles fuel pressure readings would be helpful". The text
further describes how to go about fitting of an extra banjo bolt etc.

In other words: It's entirely up to the builder - or to follow local
country requirements - to install such an indicator.

Nevertheless: The Rotax Operations Manual issue a warning (page 2-4)
which says: "Exceeding the max admissible fuel pressure will override
the float valve of the carburetor and to engine failure".

I would say that a check of the pressure would be damned "helpful" in
this respect! Or, how would I know at all of any ill funktion before the
donkey elects to stop over the biggest lake in Norway???

Now, can someone explain to me why the Rotax factory has such an
indifferent approach to this issue in the Installations Manual, while
the Operations Manual "paints the devil on the wall" in pointing out the
dangers. And, there is no follow up whatsoever in procedures or check
lists for high fuel pressure, as with other abnormalities. In other
words: Rotax issue a Warning based on an abnormality you wouldn't stand
a chance to know - if you didn't find it "helpful" to install the
indicator system!

This can't be right!

Hans
LN-HJD, #334