Re: Europa-List: Fuel Pressure Indication

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Pressure Indication
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:35:25
Hans,
You are right that they do not have a requirement, spelled out, but it
is implied.  Rotax does have parts for it and information is in the new
Rotax installation manual.  Copy attached (check currency), page 69.
I follow their instruction requirements very closely.  Part numbers are
in the parts catalogue.

UMA does make a pressure differential gauge to measure airbox vs. fuel
pressure.  I can do the math so I just use the raw fuel pressure and
manifold pressure.

Explanation: My normal fuel pressure is 4-5psi.  When I go to boost I
glance at it to see if the pressure rose IAW the boost.
We know that 29.92 in HG is 14.7 psi so 2 inches of Hg is about 1 psi.
ISH OK.
Example:  On takeoff,  at a boost pressure of 40 inches, that is 10
inches over atmosphere (that's 5 psi ish) so the fuel pressure must be
above 2.3 ish min plus 5 psi  or a min of 7.3 to keep the fuel going to
the carbs to prevent fuel starvation as the operations and installation
manuals state..
If I cruise at a fuel pressure of 5 psi at 30 inches MP at low altitude,
that is OK, if I climb at 34 inches I'm looking for 6 ish and on
takeoff, 8.
I don't cruise at high altitude normally, but as you climb, the outside
pressure decreases and that lowers the fuel pump inlet head a bit, so as
you climb your MP or outside pressure is around 17 inches HG at 15,000
MSL.  (Remember, you loose 1 in HG per 1000 or so.)  That means outside
air pressure is 8-9 psi or so in round numbers below sea level pressure
of 29.92 inches or 14.7 PSI.  If you push the MP above 30 inches then,
the engine may start to see some fuel starvation, so turn on the other
pump when going above 10,000 and you can run max continuous power up to
15000 or so.  Above 15,000 I haven't gone, but I imagine that one has to
pay attention.  Let's see.  MP gauge reads 34 inches at 15,000 feet,
minus 17 is 17 inches HG and that is about 8 psi, so 2.3 plus 8 is 10.3
at the fuel pressure meter...  That needs both pumps to do, and it does
it well.

So install a good MP gauge and a descent fuel pressure gauge or buy one
of the UMA differential gauges and press on.   I prefer to know my raw
pressure.  It is a preference for troubleshooting.  When my math skills
go, I'll buy the other gauge I guess.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.  Check my math, I am getting older.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.