Re: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?
From: Jim Brown <acrojim7534@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:51:33
Mike=0A=0AI have a 914 in my monowheel... We have logged almost 850 hours o
n the engine. =0AIn 2000 with about 43 hours on the plane we left Florida g
oing to Arlington, =0AWashington for the fly-in. On the trip out and return
, and the side trips, we =0Aput almost 100 hours on the tach, with no probl
ems...The turbo eliminates =0Adensity altitude problems out west on takeoff
's...=0A=0AThe engine has had some problems, but nothing serious, just norm
al operating =0Aitems...We fly in the high teens if the winds are in our fa
vor...I go 50 hours =0Awith oil changes, with no oil useage...We have repla
ced the Stator, Voltage =0Aregulator,about 20 hours ago. These are the only
 major items. Our engine is one =0Aof the early 914's, and at that time Rot
ax did not have in place the web site =0Athat they have now...Our learing c
urve was harder in under standing the engine, =0Aand how it needed to be ru
n...Every one tried to operate them like the big bore =0Aengines..Low RPM"S
 .If you fly a lot in the high teens, you need to keep the =0Aplugs gapped
at the minumium gap specified by Rotax..If the gap is set wide, the =0Aplug
s will misfire ocassionally...The turbo will pull 40 inches MP on take-off
=0A=C2-here at sea level if I go full throttle on takeoff..=0A=0AI have
=C2-run the engine at 5300 and 32 inches MP since new on cross countries,
 and =0Afuel burn averages 5.5 GPH, which results in 142.knots in speed.=0A
=0AI hope this answers some of your questions.....This is what works for me
, other =0A914 drivers will have different approaches on how to run a 914.
=0A=0AJim Brown=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: janm
arker <mjwings@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Mon, August
 23, 2010 7:41:31 AM=0ASubject: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?=0A
am at the point in the build of my Europa XS Monowheel where I need to make
 a =0Adecision on engine selection.=C2- I have always considered the 914
the logical =0Achoice for the high density altitude airstrips where I fly a
t New Mexico, Utah =0Aand Colorado.=C2- Typical summer time density altit
udes are at 7000 to 9000 ft in =0Athe morning and typical cruising altitude
s are 9500 to 12500 MSL.=C2- I believe=0Athe 914 will provide the perform
ance margin needed in this environment.=C2- =0AHowever, I am concerned th
at the 914 may have reliability or maintenance issues =0Athat would result
in frequent maintenance actions or failure of components (TCU, =0Aturbo, bo
ost pumps, etc) that would make life miserable for long cross country =0Afl
ights.=C2- I don=C3=A2=82=AC=84=A2t have specific data that would s
uggest that the 914 has =0Asignificant reliability or maintenance issues.
=C2- I have read an account of an =0AEuropa owner that changed out his 91
4 for a 912S due to engine issues.=C2- I have =0Aover 400 hours of mostly
 trouble free operations with the Rotax 912S in my RANS =0AS-18.=C2- I wo
uld install the 914 in my Europa in a heartbeat if I could expect =0Asimila
r reliability that I have experienced with the 912S.=C2- For those operat
ing =0Athe Rotax 914, I would very much appreciate input on your operationa
l experience =0Awith the 914.=C2- Should I be concerned about maintenance
 or reliability with the =0A914?=C2- =0A=0A=0AMike Marker=0AEuropa A197
=0A=0A=0A--------=0AMike Marker=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:
=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=309858#309858=0A=0A=0A
=C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
=======0A=0A=0A