RE: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:26:44

Hi Mike=2C
The 914 would appear to be the ideal choice just for performance reasons. I
 can't talk about reliability=2C as I also have the 912s. I have flown stra
ight across the American and the Canadian Rockies and have not found that t
o be a problem. In New Mexico I landed at Santa Fe. The nice thing about al
l Rocky Mountain airports is the fact that their runways are very long=2C i
.e. 7000 and 8000 feet seem pretty common=2C as you well know. You have to
ask yourself if the very high purchase cost is really worth the improved r.
o.c. and better performance at the really high altitudes.

Karl

> Subject: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?
> From: mjwings@msn.com
> Date: Mon=2C 23 Aug 2010 04:41:31 -0700
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> I am at the point in the build of my Europa XS Monowheel where I need to
make a decision on engine selection.  I have always considered the 914 the
logical choice for the high density altitude airstrips where I fly at New M
exico=2C Utah and Colorado.  Typical summer time density altitudes are at 7
000 to 9000 ft in the morning and typical cruising altitudes are 9500 to 12
500 MSL.  I believe
> the 914 will provide the performance margin needed in this environment.
However=2C I am concerned that the 914 may have reliability or maintenance
issues that would result in frequent maintenance actions or failure of comp
onents (TCU=2C turbo=2C boost pumps=2C etc) that would make life miserable
for long cross country flights.  I don=99t have specific data that wo
uld suggest that the 914 has significant reliability or maintenance issues.
  I have read an account of an Europa owner that changed out his 914 for a
912S due to engine issues.  I have over 400 hours of mostly trouble free op
erations with the Rotax 912S in my RANS S-18.  I would install the 914 in m
y Europa in a heartbeat if I could expect similar reliability that I have e
xperienced with the 912S.  For those operating the Rotax 914=2C I would ver
y much appreciate input on your operational experience with the 914.  Shoul
d I be concerned about maintenance or reliability with the 914?