Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 07/24/10

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 07/24/10
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:04:08

Hi Will,

I really have no idea if Decalin is approved by Rotax.. It never
occurred to me to inquire. Initially, I used 'TCP' which is the Alcor
product containing the active chemical, tri cresyl phosphate. 'TCP' was
available earlier and was used extensively by general aviation. This was
a certified product but has now been taken off the market. My
understanding is that the solvent carrier on this product was toxic if a
container leaked during flight.

"Decalin RunUp" uses a different  formulation which is not volatile. See
http://www.decalinchemicals.com/fueladditive.html In any event, do read
the MSDS information. I do know that I never get any lead fouling on my
plugs and the lead appears to be scavenged well by my semi-synthetic oil
(Valvoline Durablend 10W-40) which is approved by Rotax. Since I have
always used this type of product, I have no comparative information.

Cheers, John

John