Re: Europa-List: Fuel Pump Problem?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Pump Problem?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 23:54:04

On 07/09/2010 08:54 PM, Brian Davies wrote:
> It does sound as if the pump is sucking air.

Not necessarily.
I had the same problem when I tried the pump for the first time. I spent
hours to search for an air leak, but couldn't find one.
That day was a very warm day.
I finally realized that a drop in pressure, like you have on the suction
side of a pump, lowers the boiling point of the fluid... Combined with
the high temperature, the fuel was partly vaporizing.
Indeed, the "air" I was seeing was just fuel vapor.
Nothing to worry about, as on the pressure side of the pump the fuel
returns to a fluid state. But I could hear the pump gurgling and I saw
lots of bubbles in the fuel filter.

Frans