RE: Europa-List: Fuel Pump Problem?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel Pump Problem?
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:54:04
Hi Mike,

It does sound as if the pump is sucking air.  My electric pump test was
marginal pass but fine on mechanical pump.  I tried a new pump and it
was no
better.

The pump should self prime if it is fitted in the standard location and
there is enough fuel in the tank.

A few tips I learned along the way:

Make sure the tank is full.  A good head of fuel makes a big difference.

Try it with the aircraft in flying attitude.

Check to see if it is same on main and reserve to see if there is
blockage
in the system.
Check the flow straight out of the pump to see how much flow you are
losing
through the selector/ filters and pipework.
Check the flow before and after the mechanical pump to see if there is a
restriction.
Check that you have fitted the flow restrictor in the return line.

The flow rate test is very sensitive to the set fuel pressure.  Check
that
you are using an accurate fuel pressure guage. If you are using the
Factory
test rig I dont think the guage has been calibrated for a very long
time.

Sorry, I never checked the free stream flow rate.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Brian Davies

  _____