Re: SV: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio

Subject: Re: SV: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:54:17

On 07/07/2010 03:48 PM, Sidsel & Svein Johnsen wrote:

> Glad you enjoyed flying in Norway, and I understand that your encounter with
> the annual Voss Extreme Week was rather challenging!

We would normally have circled around the field at a safe altitude, to
determine what would be the best path down the Fjords, but the sky was
filled with para's, ATC was a bit nervous about our presence there, so
we had to approach by GPS with the field out of sight most of the time.

> One of the parachute
> jump planes was LN-JMP, I assume,

No, one was a German registered plane, the other one an Italic
registered plane. The German one was a twin engine, the Italic one was a
huge single engine. That one landed extremely short, using its
reversible prop, loaded up the para's, and didn't even bother to taxi
back to the beginning of the runway but took off right where it stopped
after landing. This went on and on. It was quite a fascinating sight.
We just stayed there for a couple of hours, made a tour over the Fjords,
as the weather in that area was only suitable for us for just one day.
Most of the time we stayed at Lunde and made a few trips from there. We
hoped to be able to travel further up North, but rain kept creeping in
all the time at the North. Weather was great in Lunde though.

> - One set with one main and one secondary receiving frequency solves the
> air-to-air (and ATIS, etc), but not the spare radio issue.

That's right. I have a handheld radio for that, with a converter to
connect it to the headset, just for emergencies. I assume that the main
radio will not likely fail though.

Frans