SV: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:48:29

Frans,

Glad you enjoyed flying in Norway, and I understand that your encounter with
the annual Voss Extreme Week was rather challenging!  One of the parachute
jump planes was LN-JMP, I assume, which normally is stationed at my summer
base, ENJB.  It's a DHC-6-200 Twin Otter, manufactured in 1968.  It needs
shorter runway to lift off with a full load of parachutists then I need with
my Europa (now, what does that say about my weight?!), and even less for
landing.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.  I will check further into this
matter based on what you wrote (and welcome others on this forum to chime
in).  I'd hate to replace the Garmin 250XL I now have, because it has a nice
satnav built into it as a standby to my Garmin 496.  Right now, I have two
comments:

- The Archer antenna is not omnidirectional for reception, I think.  On a
different flight down to Cannes earlier this summer, I called up Lyon about
35 NM out.  I could barely hear their reply heading straight for them, but
when changing heading 30 degrees I received at about 3.  Closer in, all was
well.  Same thing flying towards Denmark on another occasion, they heard me
5 but I could not copy their reply.

- One set with one main and one secondary receiving frequency solves the
air-to-air (and ATIS, etc), but not the spare radio issue.  Maybe with
today's technology a radio from one of the major suppliers simply does not
fail??  Anyone with any experience here??  When I took my PPL, the Cessna
172 had IFR equipment with a two-stack Bendix comm system integrated in such
a way that you could use both radios for simultaneous reception but only one
(selectable) for transmitting, and you could switch either one on/off.
Guess something like that is very expensive.

Svein
LN-SKJ