Re: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Air-to-air comm radio
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:45:58

On 07/07/2010 10:15 AM, Sidsel & Svein Johnsen wrote:
> Just returned from a very interesting experience in flying from Norway

Well, I just returned from a very interesting experience in flying IN
Norway. ;-)
For any of those interested in a nice flying vacation, I can highly
recommend Norway! Beautifull country, nice airfields, nice and helpfull
people everywhere, and they all speak English too.

> Deauville in Normandy in company with LN-STE, I have concluded that a second
> VHF radio will be on top of my list of winter projects.

I have a Garmin SL-30, and it has two channels with the possibility to
monitor the standby frequency. The SL-40 model has that too.
We used in heavily when flying into Voss. For the other readers: This is
an airfield at sea level, surrounded by huge Fjords of 5000 feet on all
sides. This by itself is a challenge to get in. In addition there was
heavy para activity on the field, two big twin-engine airplanes with
reversible props where taking up the parachutists to FL125, and they
came in so steep that they landed each time before the parachutists they
dropped where down. This made circling above the field a
non-possibility. So we had the field with the para droppers on one
channel, and the regional radar service on the other one, with both
talking to us, and keeping us informed where everyone was. Creeping over
the trees we could safely side slip the Europa in.

> We also experienced some intermittent difficulties in communicating with the
> air traffic controllers which we believe was due to the non-omnidirectional
> characteristics of the Archer tape antenna in the fin.

I have said it before, and will repeat it here: there is no antenna that
can improve upon the standard Europa antenna in the fin. It is a half
wave dipole, with an omnidirectional pattern. You can not get any gain
over that without compromising the omnidirectional pattern, just as that
you can't get gain from any light bulb without creating shadows in other
directions.
The antenna in the fin has proved that we always were able to
communicate as far as the "line of sight" would allow us to. In any
direction.

> -          Fitting a VHF whip antenna inside the fuselage

I would not recommend using two separate VHF radio's. The Europa is too
small to allow you to use two separate VHF antenna's without creating
interference between them. It will create all kinds of havoc, spoil your
radiation pattern, and likely create radio interference.

> -          Connecting a second radio to the headset - I suppose parallel
> inputs/outputs is all that is required, with a separate PTT push button for
> the extra radio far away from the standard radio PTT (to avoid mixing them
> up) will work?

This idea is also likely to give troubles as well. Mismatches in
impedances between mic-inputs, and if you start transmitting on one
radio, the other, still receiving radio will probably scream for mercy,
sending out audible distress signals over the headset and mic-line.

It is best to buy a radio with two channels, where you can monitor into
the standby-channel. Then you have just one antenna, one mic-input, one
PTT button, etc. It will automatically mute the standby-channel while
transmitting, and allow you to toggle instantly to a new primary frequency.

> (what a great touring aircraft the Europa is!!!!)

I fully agree!

Frans