Europa-List: Re: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine
From: MalcolmH <mhendra@f2s.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:48:50

Thanks for your input

1). Length and clash with footwells:
I have the Classic cowlings and I agree the engine length seems to be about 2.5"
to 3" to long to be accommodated within these cowlings. I understand the XS
cowlings are 4" longer so shouldn't be a problem with these. Of course the
foot-wells
on the classic aren't as long as the XS so I may have more room to play
with. I tried comparing the UL260i with the 912 dimensions and the 912 looks
to be even longer (563 as opposed to 523).
ULPOWER have a 3d model of the engine (.stp) which can be downloaded. Does
anyone
have a 3d model of the europa?

2). Height
I cant find a measurement for the height of the Rotax engine above the engine
centreline;
the UL260 is 177mm. Dont know if this would be within the top cowling.

3). Engine Choice
I imagined the 260i at 97hp was more than capable of propelling the Europa.
Especially
as the 80hp 912UL is a popular choice. The 260i was as smooth running
and quiet as the 912UL but without the complication of the dual carbs and water
circuit etc. What were your reasons for preferring the higher horsepower model?

4). Cowling
I would hope to apply minor modifications to the classic or XS cowling if a new
one is required it wouldn't be for me.

5). Prop
They say that Airmaster/Warp would be a good combination but not flight tested.

6). Fuel Economy.
I agree most manufacturers give fuel economy at say 75% at 10000ft. I've been
told
(and shown records in a flight log book) that 12 - 15l/hr are being achieved
on quite draggy airplanes. The Europa should match this, especially with a
CS prop.
I'm currently flying an Ikarus C42 with 912UL and on local flights economy is
about
12l/hr but getting back from somewhere into a stiff headwind that goes up
to about 15/16l/hr!

7). Prop Speed
I had a private email concerning prop tip speed being high with direct drive
engines.
I cant get my head round how this should be any different from a geared
engine. Any comments.

I would want a fairly trouble free installation, if cowling's foot-wells,
exhausts
etc need modification I will stick with the 912.

Thanks again for the inputs so far, any other thoughts?

Regards

Malcolm (Europa Mono 121)

p.s. if anyone does post a comment which warrants a response, you wont get one
for a couple of weeks as I'm on holiday from tomorrow

Read this topic online here: