Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:22:36
Hi Frans,

I understand your thesis (thanks again! :-).

Your thesis assumes that the tailplane is aerodynamically balanced wrt to
the torque-tube position, and the only aerodynamic component which is
stabilizing it and keeping it from flutter is the anti-servo tab.

I question this, as the fulcrum is ahead of the center of the tailplane.
Maybe my skepticism is unwarranted? Is the fulcrum in the center of the
tailplane aerodynamically?  Without the anti-servo tab, would the tailplane
flutter by design?  I doubt this is the case, as (I believe) the flettner
strips were added to eliminate the 'dead zone' of the anti-servo tab
(bringing it out of the boundary layer) to eliminate a trim-hunting issue,
not flutter (someone with some historical knowledge please do chime in!).

I would expect/hope that the tailplane would remain aerodynamically stable
without the anti-servo tab, and that the tab is there only to provide for
progressive stick forces, and trim.

The "still curious",
Pete :-)