Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:05:37
On 04/12/2010 08:06 PM, Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> I'm perplexed - all the photos I've ever looked at of Europas in cruise,
> the trim tab is *up* (as others have noted), thus the flying elevator is
> by definition providing *lift* to the tail.... a contradiction to my
> teachings.

Let's add some more to the confusion...

Especially for those who claim never having seen an Europa with the anti
servo tab NOT in the up position, here are some pictures we took when
flying our PH-DIY in formation with the PH-JAI from Tim Weert.

As you can see on the attached pictures, the PH-DIY has the anti servo
tab perfectly in line with the rest of the tail plane (as it should be,
because it is an anti servo tab, who's task it is to drive the tailplane
until it is line with the trim tab).

Frans