Europa-List: new subs payment failure mechanism

Subject: Europa-List: new subs payment failure mechanism
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:42:12

I have discovered while working on the Europa Club system that some
card transactions had failed, with the reason for failure to complete
given in the transaction log as:

5051 : The Contact Number contains invalid characters.

I'm not sure what message the member would have seen as a result of
this, as it has not arisen before. It appears that our payment
processing partner Sage Pay has tightened up the cross-checking of
information and is no longer prepared to accept phone numbers
containing a period (full stop, decimal point).

So before you try to renew your membership online, I suggest you
check how your phone number is shown and change any "." characters to
the more internationally-acceptable space characters. You should
probably do the same with your FAX number if you have one.

When we changed the system a few years back to allow website card
payments, we also allowed members to enter and amend their own data.
This was intended to reduce work for the Membership Secretary, but
has caused a few headaches when people enter unexpected data - it's
hard to predict all the possibilities that could cause problems and
protect against them!

in friendship

Rowland