Re: Europa-List: Question about Ground planes?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Question about Ground planes?
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:44:46

Jeff-

In a glass airplane you are much better off with a dipole.=C2- All a grou
nd plane does is make it possible to use a quarter wave antenna instead of
a half wave.=C2- For the Europa, there are several places you can put a v
ertical dipole.=C2- Which radio are you asking about?=C2- To answer you
r question directly, the ground plane is stand-alone, just like the other h
alf of a dipole.=C2- If I were doing a ground plane in a Europa, I'd prob
ably use several strands of copper wire or a thin aluminum plate under the
vertical quarter wave.=C2-=C2-If you are near a library, check a copy o
f the "ARRL Handbook 2010" for a full discussion of ground plane antennas.
=C2- You could also Google "Ground Plane Antenna."=C2- I did and=C2-I
 found a calculator for an amateur ground plane.=C2- All you need to do i
s plug the desired center frequency into the calculator, and it gives you t
he radial and whip lengths.

BTW, I am also about 95% with a tri-gear=C2-with a Jabiru 3300.=C2- Win
gs, elevators, rudder, doors are at the painter and I am finishing the engi
ne installation.

Jim Puglise A-283=C2-=C2-