Re: Europa-List: Hydraulic brake hose

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Hydraulic brake hose
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:10:24
Hi Fred,

Ya, the stock factory configuration simply requires too many hands for my
complete
comfort.  It works, but the right hand can be quite busy between the throttle
and brake.

There's a very fine line on the throttle friction between difficult to operate
and having the throttle spring slowly slip the throttle forward.  And it isn't
the easiest thing to adjust that friction either.

Then there's the lack of a parking brake to hold things during run-up.  Hold the
stick in your knees, the brake in the right hand and reach across with the left
to set the throttle.  The one-armed paper hanger comes to mind.

The stick mounted master solves all those problems easily.

There are no issues on the brake end of things if you stick with the stock
setup.
The issue arises when you want to switch out to the stick mounted brake.
All the brake fittings are straight threads not pipe threads so AN816 nipple
adaptors
---From NPT to Flared Tube don't work.  But a nice banjo fitting with banjo
bolt work just jim dandy.

I'll be posting a few pics from my trials and tribulations as soon as I send
this
.

Hope this helps,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Mar 8, 2010, at 14:57, Fred Klein wrote:

> Mike, et al,
>
> After following and just now reviewing this thread, I find I'm not clear as to
just what the issues are with the stock Europa XS mono brake, apart from the
substitution of a stick-mounted motorcycle-type hand grip for the stock,
tunnel-mounted,
hand brake/master cylinder.

> I do understand the desirability of having 2 right hands during run-up with
> the
stock setup, and consequently, I fashioned a detent for the hand brake as shown
in the attached photo. Whether or not the detent will hold the brake full-on
during runup is not known, but for the time being I'm hoping it will serve
while I progress w/ other more challenging aspects of my build.

> So here's a question...If one were to retain the stock XS mono hand brake
> lever
and master cylinder, are there issues with the kit-supplied hydraulic line
and its connection to the wheel mounted brake assembly which warrant
substitution
using the recently posted banjo fittings?