Re: Europa-List: Liberty XL Service Bulletin for Canopy Shoot Bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Liberty XL Service Bulletin for Canopy Shoot Bolts
From: Europa List <n914va@bvunet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:50:35

I learned to fly in a Piper Tomahawk which used a similar system to secure
the doors. It was pounded into my head to check both doors very carefully
before taking of. On my long solo cross country I left Harrisburg
International and as I turned to leave the pattern, I noticed more noise
than usual. Sure enough the rear shoot bolt on my side was not engaged. I
slowed to 10 knots above stall and trimed for level flight as instructed and
was able to correctly shut the door. I was prepared to request permission
and land back at Harrisburg had I not been successful because of the dire
warnings from my instructor about not bringing the complete airplane home.

Learning a lesson without dire consequences is most preferable. Learning
---From others mistakes is even better for you.

Vaughn Teegarden
A191 back in the building stage