Europa-List: Max RPM

Subject: Europa-List: Max RPM
From: Troy Maynor <wingnut54@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:24:53
Hi All,

Yesterday I took the plane out of the garage and rigged it. Started the
engine, let it warm up, and did the pneumatic carb balancing. They were
within 1/2 in.Hg of each other at 3k rpm when I proclaimed it good and
shut it down. Is this close enough? It ran fairly smooth from 3k up to
5k. The gages were not so closely matched at around 2k rpm. Just
wondering if this is normal.

When all the hoses were put back in place and vacuum gages removed,
plane tied down securely I did a 2 minute run at max rpm, simulating a
climb to safe landing altitude. All went well at first. However, I only
got 5,200 rpm max. The max rpm was reached without the lever being all
the way forward. The last inch or so of lever travel produced no change.
 And, no the cables were not being pushed too far. When the lever stops
in the cockpit, the carb lever just touches the stop.  I have a 912S
with the ground adjustable Warp Drive prop set at 17 degrees as per
manual. The analog tach is made by Mitchell and is made for Rotax. Will
the rpm go as high as 5800 when the plane is cut loose or do I need to
flatten the pitch to 16 degrees and try it again?
Thanks again crew.
Troy