Europa-List: Diesel Europa tri-gear MG?

Subject: Europa-List: Diesel Europa tri-gear MG?
From: Dwight Van Zanen <dbvz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 11:47:24

I am new to this system of communication.  If you can direct me to somewher
e to get this information=2C please let me know.

I have been interested in a Europa for some time and would like your advice
 on the feasability of a diesel tri-gear=2C long wing=3B with aux fuel tank
=2C IFR GPS coupled to autopilot with altitude hold=2C BRS and oxygen syste
ms. I have looked into the WAM 120 from Weisch Airmotive=2C but open to alt
ernatives. I am in the USA where an Experimental glider can be flown withou
t a medical=2C night and IFR if properly equipped. Here are some reasons fo
r my question:

1. Long range: Use a turbo-diesel at 3gph=2C aux tank=2C perhaps 2000NM in
economy cruise?
3. GPS direct:
4. Low fuel cost: See #1
5. More safety in a SEL: great power-off glide=2C diesel fuel=2C add a BRS
6. Easier to make modifications: EXP=2C pretty simple systems
7. Cheaper for maintenance: Do it yourself mostly
8. Steady IFR platform: wingspan of 47.25 feet
9. Higher altitudes: turbo-diesel=2C add oxygen system
10. Remove the wings=2C take it home in a trailer. No hangar rental.
11. Higher speeds: 150kts TAS @ 10k=2C turbo for altitude.
12. No medical required for a registered glider in the USA=2C even for nigh
t and IFR if equipped.

And on the negatives:

13. Reduced to 2 seats. Solo for long range flights. Possible to increase u
seful load with more power?
14. Initial cost to buy/build and set it up the way I want it.
15. Necessity of getting the glider rating and self-launch endorsement.
16. No toilet. Not needed with my current plane=2C but Porta-John works.
17. ? I know some people consider EXP a negative=2C but see 1-12...

Most of my flying has been solo or with one passenger anyway=2C retired wit
h grown kids mostly on the other coast. The MG idea would not work for ever
yone=2C but it seems like it would work for me better than my current plane
 does. And the FAA rules allow night and IFR in a properly equiped MG witho
ut a medical. May be valuable as I get older.  Thanks for any advice or com
ments on feasability. And if anyone is doing something similar=2C I would l
ove to hear from you.

Dwight B. Van Zanen

22426 262 Ave. SE

Maple Valley=2C WA 98038

(425) 432-2213

dbvz@hotmail.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft=92s powerful SPAM protection.