Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Flap Operation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Flap Operation
From: Bob Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:50:02

Phil,

FWIW, from my massive 20 hours and 50 or so takeoffs and landings in my
monowheel.
I see it as a solution in search of a non-existent problem.

On takeoff, I find the best procedure is to gain some comfortable airspeed and
altitude, slip the gear lever out of the down-notch and slide it forward at a
pace that allow you to compensate for the pitch change and provides minimal
change
in rate of climb.  If you just pop the gear handle out of the down-notch
and slap it smartly forward into the up-notch, you have a rapid pitch change,
climb stops and you may settle some before you accelerate out and begin to climb
again.

For landing, just the opposite.  Arrive in the pattern, slow below the 80 kt
flap
extension speed, take the gear handle out of the up-notch and bring it smartly
aft and into the down-notch, make sure the down-lock is in place.  It gets
the pitch change out of the way without much fuss, you are in landing
configuration
and the gear is down and locked.  If you start messing with a slow, cautious
extension at various places along the pattern, you will be distracted somewhere
along the way and the gear won't end up down and locked.  I also see the
potential for one of the outriggers not making it into the down latch if the
handle isn't operated smartly.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I'm sure there will be other procedures and opinions.

Wishing all a Most Prosperous New Year!

Check six,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Monowheel, Intercooled Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S prop.
Hoping for weather warm enough that I can complete the fuel system mods this
weekend.

On Wednesday, December 30, 2009, at 07:34AM, "flyingphil2"
<ptiller@lolacars.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm just following up on something I read on a recent thread and had thought of
before.

>The thread mentioned that "a few of the mono builders are opting for the trike
flap drive".  I'm not flying a mono yet but have flown in them and had noticed
that they take off with full flap.  It had occurred to me that the flap drive
motor may be a better idea.

>I'm not sure how you would deal with the outriggers but what do mono pilots
>think
about this?  There is the drag of full flap on take off and the pitch change
when you put it away.  Having said that, the person I flew with partially raised
the gear and allowed it to float at half flap for a short while whilst climbing
out to reduce the pitch change.  Is that the best technique to use or
is fitting a motor and making the flaps independent of undercarriage better or
is there in fact no problem at all?