Europa-List: 30A slo-blo fuse

Subject: Europa-List: 30A slo-blo fuse
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:24:46

The wiring diagram for the Europa Rotax installation shows 2 off 30A
slo-blo fuses, in the battery & alternator lines to the main busbar.

What hardware have UK builders used to realise these fuses? And where
did you get it?

All the fuses I've found readily available are automotive blade fuses
which all seem to be fast-blow.

There are also industrial cartridge fuses (10mm x 38mm) which will
fit the inline fuseholders available from Halfords (Autoleads AGU
part # G2-30-H) but neither these nor the ones supllied in the
Autoleads holders indicate the speed of blowing.

ANL type current limiters sound nice but (a) are difficult to get in
UK and (b) the minimum size is 35A. Pete Smoothy at Airworld says he
can get 40A ones from B&C. But a 40A ANL is maybe too loose to
protect 10AWG wires?

And how important is it anyway to fit slow-blow as opposed to
fast-blow in these positions?

Opinions, part numbers, suppliers details, all welcome!

regards

Rowland