Re: Europa-List: Tailplane balance mass

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane balance mass
From: Bob Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:30:44

Frans,

Lovely aircraft!  Almost as pretty as the young lady sitting on the wing with
you.

For what it's worth, my tailplane balanced with one big, one middle and two
small
weights positioned using washers behind them such that the weights were held
full forward against the roll pin.  The weights had all been bead blasted to
remove some thin rust then primed and painted.  So they might be a tiny bit
heavier
than plain weights.

I not only static balanced the tailplane, but also "dynamically" checked the
balance.
That is, I made sure the tail was in balance and had no tendency for the
weights to raise or fall on their own.  For the dynamic balance check, I quickly
lifted and lowered the tail to ensure that the tailplane did not move when
the tail was moved.  This was easier to accomplish with my Monowheel than it
might be with your tri-gear.

Check six,
Bob Borger

On Tuesday, November 24, 2009, at 08:50AM, "Frans Veldman"
<frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>