Europa-List: Cowling with no access doors

Subject: Europa-List: Cowling with no access doors
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:42:10

> 4) Cowlings
> - do not make those little oil/water check doors - so you have to take whole
upper cowling away and see and check same time much much more (weight penalty
none, use cam locks or equal - so it is pleasure to open so often you like - I
do it every 5 flight hrs)

"This is radical, but a good point actually. Although it may invite you
to not bother with checking the water and oil if you are in a hurry to
go home. I know, you should never fall into this trap, but we are all
human and it is temptive to skip checks that take too long if bad
weather is approaching and you need to leave the airport."

Frans,

Oh yes I know I am a little bit radical, criminal and provoking.

A good pilot follow (his) rules always - also when hurry and a storm is coming.
If he has not time enough - he will cancel the planned flight.
A bad pilot does not and the easily openable access doors do not help.
She /he will skipp also them. That is so simple.

One sad example from Finland during last summer: a Piper pilot was hurry and he
does not even walk around his plane. Soon after take off he crashed - followed
one fatal. Why? There was still hanging a concrete ground weight from his tail
wheel. They say he was very experienced old school pilot. Maybe he checked
the oil...

IMHO, checking oil (and water) before every flight is an old habit coming from
history (and checking oil is still necessary when Lyco/Conti engines). With
modern
engines like Rotax I think (again IMHO) it is not necessary to check before
EVERY flight. I check them only after every 5 hours. That means sometimes once
a day but sometimes once a month. Between oil change period it does not loose
or burn oil at all - so is water also. If there is a bad leak - it is seenable
easily outside the cowlings.

Modern car engines can run 30000 km or more from oil change to oil change and
the
oil level is always same.
That means about an average let is say 400 hours or more. How often we check
water
and oil in our cars? Our fathers or granfas checked them every day. It was
a must.

It is much more important (again IMHO) to find an evidence of any leaks like
exhaust.
To check are the carbs still fixed. To correct any loose items. How are
all the pipes, wires, hoses and so. That is impossible via access doors.
That is why they are useless. When you have not them, you have to open the upper
cowling and you have a good possibility to check more. I am sure that is a good
enhancement for safety.

And much more easier and fun  if the cowling is easily removable. I have one
friend
who hasa plane with cowling with hinges and gas pumps to keep it open. He
press the button in the cockpit and it is open!

Other benefits when no access doors in the cowling:

1) looks better
2) more streamlined and a bit faster
3) more lightweight and a bit simpler
4 faster to build
5 no risk to loose the access door during flight (that could also be a fatal
case
- it has happened)

I am sure some of you - not Frans - would like to execute me now. That is
normal.
Welcome.

Raimo OH-XRT