Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY

Subject: Re: Europa-List: PH-DIY
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:07:01

Raimo Toivio wrote:
> "We tested the original harness, but we found that if we would
> ever end up inverted, or would have to ditch, it would be possible to get
> entangled in it. The new harness has no loops or anything
> that can trap you when you are in a disoriented situation and are in a
> hurry to get out."
>
> You are only one (w me) I know who has reacted because of this potential risk.

There are more potential risks that could easily be avoided.

What about routing fuel lines through the cabin, so that if there is a
leak the foot bath in front of the seat fills with fuel. Or using a fuel
return line without a one-way valve, so when the line breaks all the
fuel will drain into the fuselage, regardless of the setting of the fuel
selector.

I'm also sceptical about the recommendation to connect the trim directly
to the battery instead of after the master switch. Oh yeah, go ahead and
also connect the stall warner before the master switch, as the manual
suggests. There are probably some more things worth keeping when the
master switch is off. And then, when you need to make an emergency crash
landing, you are sitting in an airplane with fuel behind your back, and
a lot of live wires running over the entire length of the aircraft which
you can't switch off...

Maybe we can assemble a list with safety improvements so everyone can
benefit from it. There are probably some things I have overlooked as
well. I must assume there are more people on this list who are concerned
about safety.

Frans