Re: Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:50:14

jason Parker wrote:
> If the ball in your check valve doesn't make a good seal, it will
> fill up the turbo oil drain box due to gravity feed. When you go to
> start it, you will bleed oil past the turbo seal until the oil coming

I have reasons to believe that the oil was already past the seal before
I started the engine. In the months that the engine didn't run, oil has
seeped past the seal. Before the engine produced any significant heat,
the oil was already blown out the exhaust. While I agree that a constant
flow of oil in a very heat environment will coke up the wastegate, I
don't think that oil that is quickly thrown out of a cold engine once in
a few months will cause wastegate problems. In fact, the wastegate on my
914 feels still normal.

> If your burning
> oil all the time then it is one of the following, your turbo needs to
> be rebuilt, your oil check valve is not poping at 65 psi and over
> supplying the turbo, or your secondary scavange pump isn't working
> properly.

I agree with that. I will thus carefully check that the engine is not
burning oil all the time. At the moment I can't start the engine because
I drained the tank (the prime reason I started the engine was that this
was the easiest way to get rid of the small amount of fuel that was left
;-) ). Next time (won't take months!) I will carefully monitor whether
oil is thrown out again.

Thanks for your comments,
Frans