Re: Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914
From: jason Parker <litesellme@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 20:17:43
If the ball in your check valve doesn't make a good seal, it will fill up t
he turbo oil drain box due to gravity feed. When you go to start it, you wi
ll bleed oil past the turbo seal until the oil coming in equals the oil bei
ng scavanged from the secondary oil scavange pump. Any back pressure at all
 will cause oil to feed past the seal. Despite what you have been told, thi
s is really bad on a stock 914. The oil will gum up the wastegate, and you
will boost spike!! I've seen more than a handfull of engines that have boos
t spiked to over 28PSI due to this problem and turbo control issues. If you
r burning oil all the time then it is one of the following, your turbo need
s to be rebuilt, your oil check valve is not poping at 65 psi and over supp
lying the turbo, or your secondary scavange pump isn't working properly.
Jason