Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914

Subject: Europa-List: Oil in exhaust, Rotax 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:52:48

Hi everyone,

Today, after some months of working on the airplane, I decided to start
the engine again. I noticed some time ago that the bottom of the turbo
was a bit "wet". The engine ran fine (and for the first time without
overheating during the long ground session), but after the succesful
test I noticed that the exhaust had blown quite some oil away. There was
a dark spot on the ground where the exhaust points to, and the port
wheel was soaked with oil.
The inside of the exhaust was dry, so the oil came out early in the
session. The oil was not burned, I assume it came out of the turbo.

Now, I would like to know whether it could (hopefully) be somewhat
normal that after a few months of non operation the turbo seeps full
with oil, and on engine start this oil is thrown out of the exhaust.
If this is not normal, what is involved with fixing this?

Almost flying, but new issues come up faster than I can solve them... :-(

Frans