RE: Europa-List: Mod 73 ...my reply to Fred Klein on subject.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 73 ...my reply to Fred Klein on subject.
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:34:05
Hi! Fred
Whilst I don't purport to be an authority I must contribute as follows:-
As frustrating as you may find it, the Mod 73 identifies a positive
eventuality of the centre bush becoming unbonded and allowing the
stabilators to migrate outwards and so disengage from the drive pins at the
close out rib end. Indeed only a small number were found to have become
unbonded but unless mod 73 is effected then you will never be sure, nuisance
though it is.
I  understand that the main failure found on G-OFHC was a delamination of
the final lay ups on the WING close out rib (due to insufficient scuffing
preparation (on a photo I saw) and not least by the nearby aft wing lift pin
pulling out of the threaded stack of aluminium/layup sandwiches in the rib
close out , the aluminium plates having individually moved during curing
resulting in the drilled hole prior to threading missing full engagement of
the plates.
More recent kits have wider plates allowing for more error of centralization
of the hole, the original kits only used 1" wide plates allowing for minimal
error but the kit instructions did warn of the potential for the plates to
move during working and curing.

It was not the flap pin which failed but indeed the flap drive pin just may
have become disengaged by the flap moving outboard.
Whichever came first to precipitate the sequence of events is somewhat
immaterial, both mods to wing and stabilators are in best interest but also
serious checks of the degree of engagement of the flap drive pin into the
flap drive tube when the flaps are deployed should be followed as per Europa
Technical Bulletin.

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG