Re: SV: Europa-List: Tri-gear Jamar brakes (breaks?)

Subject: Re: SV: Europa-List: Tri-gear Jamar brakes (breaks?)
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:35:46

On Oct 12, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Frans Veldman wrote:

> Also, if I look inside the cylinders, they look like I found them in a
> junk yard, not like something that is supposed to be a brand new
> airplane part!

Frans,
It's been 4 years since I did this but I remember having the same
problem. It all boiled down to the condition of the cylinders as you
mentioned. I remember taking the thing apart completely and finding the
same crap in the cylinders. Others on this forum said they had the same
issue. The key is to clean both cylinders of all the junk. I seem to
remember there was a bad batch of these Europa received and cleaning
them properly freed up all my problems so the springs could do their
job. I remember using a small soft round wire brush with some paint
thinner or solvent and they came out looking like new. I then
reassembled them and they've worked perfect ever since. Your right to
bleed each cylinder by removing the set screw / bleeder until the
bubbles quit. Do your best to keep the bleeder at the highest point. It
will take a few try's with rags wrapped around it to catch the dot-5
that comes out. A word to the wise. Ad a dab of gasket seal to each set
screw / bleeder. Any kind sold at the auto parts store will work.  Mine
continued to leek and therefore I kept getting air into the lines not
to mention the fluid all over the tunnel. The gasket seal on the
threads of both bleeder screws solved it.
Regards,
Jeff R.
A258 - N128LJ / Gold Rush