Re: SV: Europa-List: Tri-gear Jamar brakes (breaks?)

Subject: Re: SV: Europa-List: Tri-gear Jamar brakes (breaks?)
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:24:20

Sidsel og Svein Johnsen wrote:

> Frans,
>
> I do not recognize the name "Jamar" - are these the tunnel-mounted
> finger-brakes supplied by Europa?

Yep.

> If so, maybe this can help:  When bleeding one side, the finger lever of the
> other side must be held all the way back (as far as you get it).

I did that.
I also turned the unit in all possible directions when bleeding it. In
the last two days I have worked liters of dot5 through the system (and
reused as much of it as possible of course, but lost at least half a
liter in cumulative drips). Whatever I try, the port side always behaves
the same; it may feel promising some times, but after the first squirt,
it just doesn't pump anymore.

So, I hate to have to come to the conclusion that the unit itself is
somehow defective.
I took it out, but now I'm puzzled how to disassemble it. Various people
on this forum have written in the past about changing seals etc. but I'm
ashamed to not have a clue yet how to open up the unit. There is a tiny
screw on the side, but taking it out doesn't change a thing. There are
no doors, no panels, nothing, or they have hidden it magically. So I
assume that some has to give near the place where the lever comes out.
It is tempting to pull on the lever until something gives, but before I
do that I want to be sure that I didn't miss something.

Very very frustrating all this. Dot5 all over the place, the floor and
workbence are slippery from that stuff (I always work as clean as
possible but this silicone stuff seems to go everywhere by itself), my
hands are sore of squeezing, braking and pumping, and so far not any
progress. This brake bleeding thing is on my nomination for the most
hated job on an Europa.

If I have to fiddle with that Jamar thing much longer to get it working,
I might alltogether toss that thing away. What is involved to convert to
a Matco unit? As I already finished the interior, can I reuse the
existing slots for the levers? Is it plug and play, or is some surgery
needed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Frans