Europa-List: Lifting a Europa

Subject: Europa-List: Lifting a Europa
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey@infocom.co.ug>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:54:59
Perhaps someone can help out there.

I am far from home base and my normal Europa jack, and need to lift my
Europa classic monowheel to test undercarriage retraction.  I once read
(on the Europa website I think) that it is perfectly OK to lift a Europa
off the ground by getting a hydraulic engine hoist, and hoisting the
whole thing up with straps to the the engine/undercarriage frame just
behind the engine (Rotax 912).  In fact I once had to do this after a
gear up, and it all appeared to work fine, no creaking and groaning in
the frame.

But is this really OK?  Is there a quick alternative to hoisting up to
check the retract?

Best to all
Richard
Kenya